iTEP Business-Plus has five sections for different English language skills, which appear in the following order: grammar, listening, reading, writing, and speaking. Each section contains questions targeting a variety of levels of English proficiency.
|Section||Format||Number and Type of Questions||Time|
|Complete the sentences
Identify incorrect phrase or word
|25 Questions||10 Minutes|
|4 short conversations||4 Multiple-Choice||20 Minutes|
|One 2-3 minute conversation||4 Multiple-Choice|
|One 4-minute business seminar||6 Multiple-Choice|
|250-word passage||4 Multiple-Choice||20 Minutes|
|500-word passage||6 Multiple-Choice|
|Respond to a topic||Written response of 50 – 75 words||25 Minutes|
|Support an opinion on a specified topic||Write 175-225 words to express and support an opinion on the topic|
|Listen and read a short question||Prepare and speak||5 Minutes|
|Listen to two (2) sides of a topic||Prepare and support opinion|
Grammar (Structure) – 10 minutes/1 part
This section is comprised of twenty-five multiple-choice questions, each of which tests familiarity with a key feature of English structure. This section includes a range of structures from simple to more complex, as well as a range of vocabulary from beginning to advanced. There are two question types, each with on-screen examples.
Listening – 20 minutes/3 parts
- Part 1: Four conversations of 2-3 sentences ranging from high-beginning level to low-intermediate, each followed by 1 multiple-choice question.
- Part 2: One 2- to 3-minute intermediate-level conversation followed by 4 multiple-choice questions.
- Part 3: One 4-minute lecture followed by 6 multiple-choice questions.
Reading – 20 minutes/2 parts
- Part 1: One intermediate-level passage about 250 words in length followed by 4 multiple-choice questions
- Part 2: One college-level paragraph about 450 words in length followed by 6 multiple-choice questions
Writing – 25 minutes/2 parts
- Part 1: The test-taker is asked to write a short note, geared at the low-intermediate level, on a supplied topic in response to instructions (5 minutes / 50-75 words).
- Part 2: The test taker is presented with a brief, low-advanced level written topic and is asked to express and support his/her opinion on the topic (20 minutes / 175-225 words).
Speaking – 5 minutes/2 parts
- Part 1: A short question geared at low-intermediate level is played. The test-taker has 30 seconds to prepare a spoken response, and 45 seconds to speak.
- Part 2: A brief low-advanced-level clip is played presenting two sides of an issue. The test-taker is asked to express his or her thoughts on the topic, with 45 seconds to prepare, and 60 seconds to speak.
Total actual test time per examinee is approximately 50 minutes for iTEP Business-Core and 80 minutes for iTEP Business-Plus. In addition, test administrators allocate an additional 10 minutes for pre-test instructions and test-taker questions.
iTEP Business is typically administered by companies on their own office computers. iTEP staff is available to troubleshoot and guide you through the process. iTEP Business can also be administered on home computers if test security is not a concern. Contact the iTEP representative in your country or contact us directly if you are in a country that does not yet have a representative.